The truth is that we are now a rogue state, under the arbitrary rule of a rogue president. Everybody in Harare knows it, but nobody has the guts to say it out loud.
Fear is in the air everywhere: abject, snivveling, hide-under-the-bed and- pretend- it’s- not- out- there fear. It’s not just fear of a few foreign fanatics with explosives. The truth that is just too terrifying to face is the truth of what we have become. Warrentless searches, indefinite detention, the abrogation of citizens’ rights that have been recognized as basic since the Magna Carta…
We Zimbabweans have been raised on the myth of Progress, to pride ourselves on our gradual March of Freedom: but we sense now that we’re in free fall, dropping into an abyss of self-inflicted torture and slavery that we believed safely in the past, the Dark Ages.
What if Congress stood up to defend the constitution? Would ED obey his oath? You may not admit it, but you know the answer. You’ve seen The Decider in action. You’ve read his “the law doesn’t apply to this President” signing statements. Congress and the courts have to go along, have to pretend they still have some influence, because the alternative– openly declaring that the Executive has run amok and is completely beyond control– is for a democracy a fate worse than any number of casualties; worse even than defeat in war. Cowardice, carelessness, corruption: Thus, not with a bang but a whimper, dies the Dream.
Get in touch with me on social media
By the same author;
- It will be hell.To believe in a personal God with “reasons”, they give up their own! What kind of God kills miners and starts tropical-marine cyclones the? OrdainsContinue reading “It will be hell.”
- What fools we mortals be.Somehow, the ideal of being a good and useful person has been replaced by the ideal of being a winner. Money, now: that’s how we’reContinue reading “What fools we mortals be.”
- F*vk it! Kids don’t belong!!Yeah! That’s what I’m saying: kids don’t belong. They’ve got no right to be with adults. When I’m in a bar or restaurant, hanging outContinue reading “F*vk it! Kids don’t belong!!”
- Letter From GrandmaOne day I received a letter from grandma… It read;
- America Does Not Have Democracy!!The majority of Americans have given up on being citizens. They’ve sunk into the passivity of Spectators and Consumers. What they have is a lotContinue reading “America Does Not Have Democracy!!”